No, I’m not talking about myself. I’ve embarked on an ambitious project that is sure to never get completed. On my way there I’m working on getting an RN-XV “cheap” WiFi adapter talking to an Arduino. I’ve had all kinds of issues getting it connected and it all comes down to spaces.

I’ll have more detail later about what I’m trying to do but, my immediate issue boiled down to my use of $ in my passphrase. The RN-XV and actually the RN-171 it’s based on has a nice feature of escaping spaces in SSIDs and passphrases with a $ by default. This took some digging to find out but once I did I was able to change it.

Connect to the RN-XV from your console. I used the Adafruit XBee adapter kit through a com port on my PC. Do $$$ to get into CMD mode. From there you can do a couple of things. For my purposes I needed to do the following:

<2.30> get opt replace
JoinTmr=1000
Replace=0x26
DeviceId=WiFly-EZX
Password=
Format=0x0
Signal=0
Average=5

You can see I’ve already changed it here but the default would be Replace=0x24 which is $ in ascii. To change it:

set opt replace 0x26

Then don’t forget to “save” or it’ll revert to the wrong character. You can also check the saved WLAN settings with “get wlan”.

Now that I have it successfully connecting, getting it to do something might be a little more of a challenge. I’m trying to work with this library but it’s proving to be a challenge. More here as I figure that out.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *