Kit pickup

A lot has happened over the last several weeks.  I got a call right after New Years from FFR letting me know I could pick up my car January 13th if I was interested.  Of course I was!  Because of the timing I decided to delete all of the options except the body cutouts for the pickup.  I’ll get the other things as I move through the build.  I flew up with my friend Jeremy Saturday morning.  We flew into Providence and picked up a Penske truck there.  On the way to FFR we stopped at another owners house to take a look at his soft top.  I hadn’t actually seen the soft top first hand and I wanted to get a look at how it fit on the car.  This guy’s place was pretty interesting.  He had old cars all over the place that he had been working on.  There was a beautiful Mercury in one garage and a Metropolitan with a small black Chevy in another.  Jeremy snapped some pics of them which I’m sure I’ll be posting up here at some point.  Onward we drove to the factory.  Picking up the car was very easy.  FFR’s been growing and they’ve had to store completed cars in another warehouse down the road.  I understand they’re in the process of building a new warehouse which they’ll be able to run the entire operation out of.  After picking up my docs we drove over to the storage warehouse.  The guys there were pretty comical.  Not Cobra enthusiasts themselves, they talked about how they got tired of looking at these kits all the time.  Can you believe it!  After we left there the rest of the trip was pretty uneventful although long.  I thought I was suffering some kind of allergy attack but it was probably some kind of flu.  My nose was bright red from all the napkins by the time we got back!  We left the factory around noon and arrived in New Market around 8:30PM.  I was lucky enough to have some great friends who could come out that evening to help unload the kit.  With four average size guys we managed to slowly remove it from the van and into the garage.  Despite what other people have told me this thing is freakin heavy!!!  )

Over the last couple of weeks I haven’t touched the car.  It’s been really tough but I was trying to prioritize studying for the CCIE.  I just got back from that this week (unsuccessful unfortunately) and now I’m gearing up to get started.  First order of business is building the body buck and getting the body off.  There’s a small chance I’ll get that done by this weekend.  Then it’s on to the aluminum panels.  I’ll be putting together a schedule for when I need to get what.  With a baby on the way we’re trying to be very careful about how we spend money.  Other items on the to-do list are: punching down the network connection in the garage, setting up the laptop out there, getting the webcam working, working on the web site and getting the garage organized for better clearance around the kit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *