Not so fast….back to XenServer

Just…can’t…get…it…to…work.  So, I’m going to try XenServer free again and ask for help at the support forums for both Citrix and Unraid.  I managed to get noac to populate into the NFS settings but lookupcache=none isn’t taking.  There are other settings in there and I’m wondering if they’re getting in the way.  I have to believe there’s a way to make this work.  From the nfsstat -m on the server:

/var/run/sr-mount/1804503a-ac43-f0eb-cd4a-18eff5098f21 from 192.168.169.8:/mnt/user/ISOs
Flags: rw,sync,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,soft,noac,proto=tcp,port=65535,timeo=133,retrans=0,sec=sys,mountport=65535,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.169.8

XenServer 6.2 free, bye, bye … hello Xen!

Despite my best efforts I couldn’t maintain a stable NFS connection for the network share to Unraid.  I’ve decided to bag it and try building a Xen hypervisor up from an Ubuntu install.  It looks like XenCenter should still be able to manage it so I should be able to take advantage of the slightly more polished GUI.  I’m hoping (but not yet sure) that I’ll be able to use Ubuntu’s regular NFS tools to map the shares and I already know that works well with the proper settings.  More once I have that working.

XenServer 6.2 free and NFS shares on Unraid

I recently ran across a problem with XenServer 6.2 when connecting to my Unraid on NFS.  It kept dropping the NFS connection but I couldn’t determine why.  I thought it might be Xen related and reinstalled straight Ubuntu 12.04 instead.  However, I started having the same problem with Ubuntu with mounted NFS shares.  It would seem to age them out.  Luckily, Ubuntu gave me some more info and would throw up a message about “Stale NFS File Handles”.  A little more digging and I come across a couple of things on the Unraid user forum that point to Unraid being the problem.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27604.msg243305#msg243305

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27874.msg246978#msg246978

Using both of these I was able to get a stable connection from Ubuntu to Unraid.  I set the tunable in the Unraid NFS settings to -1 and added the lookupcache option on Ubuntu.  I didn’t do any performance testing.

Now, I’ve tried going back to XenServer hoping that the Unraid tunable would be enough to fix the issue in Xen.  It’s not.  Still had a loss of connectivity to the Unraid NFS share after a couple of hours.  I’ve just now gone into the Xen settings per this post:  http://likerabbits.blogspot.com/2009/09/xenserver-performance-tweaks.html and added the noac option.

We’ll see how it goes over the next several hours.

Updated:  No luck with adding lookupcache=none and noac to the basic options.  It still croaked after 15-20 minutes.  I found another reference to checking the /etc/mtab file and saw some more options, including one for actimeo.  I’m trying it with that eliminated to see if it makes a difference.

Second update: commenting out actimeo might have worked.  I’m only 2 hours in but I think this is longer than previous failures.  I’ll create a new post with the necessary changes, if this ends up working.