Pedals and brake lines

John Wilkins came by a week or two ago to help with some things. We bent the pedals so that there was more room for my big feet and welded the brake line brackets in place. Much thanks to him as it made those tasks quite a bit easier.

This weekend I got the brake lines installed. I used the NAPA lines as they are listed in the FAQ on ffcobra.com. It went pretty smoothly for the most part. I had issues with two things. The front right brake line makes a circuitous path across the front x-member. It was a little challenging to get the line bent so that I could maximize the slack on either end. That brings me to my second problem. The brake lines as they attach to the distribution block extend pretty low. I’m somewhat concerned that it will interfere with the j-pipe when it goes in. I’m asking for comments on ffcobra.com.

I also started assembling the pedal box and I ran into an issue with that. I have a plunger type switch that I think belongs in the pedal box. I think it’s the brake light switch but I can’t figure out how it mounts.

Worked the AC pedals a little but I have to ask about that as well. I’m not certain how to grind out the slot for the brake and clutch arms.

At this point I want to get the pedal box and brakes wrapped up. Then I’ll run the fuel lines and button up some of the driver footbox. Just a couple of things after that and I might be able to drop the engine in!

Sharp aluminum

Finally making some progress again. Last month we had the first (and maybe last) annual Fall Rallye for the Cobra club. The weather was cold and drizzly on occasion. Not a great day. To make matters worse, the folks in Smithsburg decided to have a parade and then Dubya happened to be at Camp David. I’m going to have to have a talk with him about coordinating schedules in the future! ;)

The only other thing I did last month was to finish up the engine. Ok, it’s not completely finished, but I’m setting it aside for now. I painted it all black except for the valve covers and the timing cover, which are silver. Looks pretty good! Still a ton of stuff left to do like the upper manifold, distributor, headers and water pump. That can wait.

Today I spent time on the kit. I finished up the passenger foot box and also worked on the driver foot box a little. Managed to cut up my hands pretty good. I even left blood on the aluminum. Don’t think I’ll wipe that off! ) I also tightened up the steering column and adjusted the toe-in. I think I have it the way they suggest in the manual but now it’s obvious that there’s too much toe-out. I’ll just try to measure it and get it as close to 0deg toe-in as I can. Like I’ve said before, the kit goes together pretty easy, it’s the donor stuff that’s a bitch.

I think I’m going to shoot for driving it to Spring Fling. It won’t be painted but it should be legal. Won’t be the first time I’ve said that though. We’ll see.