Front arm bolt

Spent the weekend wailing on the stuck bolt.  It worked…to a point.  Now the bolts not budging any more.  It’s about 2″ out.  The frame bracket is pretty beat up at this point.  Also, the bolt is trying to kink upwards and the threaded rod is starting to bend pretty severely.  I’m sure it’s not the strongest rod around and I’m starting to get concerned that it might snap.  I’m not sure but I might be pushing on the sleeve and not the bolt.  The sleeve has a slit in it and I’m guessing that this has acted like a knife cutting into the bushing and jamming it inside between the sleeve and bolt.  The combo spins fairly easily but it doesn’t seem to be coming apart any more than it has already.  Looks like I might have to get a sawzall or torch.  Argh.

Leaky oil pan

Posted new donor pics last night.  You can see that the gunk is pretty thick.  Should be fun cleaning it.  Seriously!  There are a number of what look to be leaks.  The oil pan gasket is very obviously crushed.  I’m not sure if it was a crappy gasket or if they overtorqued it.  Either way, it left a lot of oily junk all around the bottom.  I think the oily residue in the bellhousing is from that.  At least I hope it is.  There’s also a lot of wetness near the rear of the drivers side valve cover.  Same thing there, I’m hoping it’s just a bad gasket.  Should be interesting when I take it apart during the cleaning.  I’m taking tomorrow off to work on the last couple of heavy wrenching items.  The rear upper arms are still attached.  They were being difficult the other day so I sprayed some Liquid Wrench on them.  Hopefully that will loosen them up some.  And lastly, the front suspension bolt.  Robert Duncan from the forum came up with a good suggestion.  Take a threaded rod and throw a couple of bolts on it.  Run it through the open side and start torqueing it down.  Wiggle the bolt back and forth at the same time.  Hopefully it should start pushing the bolt out. http://www.cobraforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=020865.  If that doesn’t work I’m going to have to take drastic measures and start heating/cutting things.

Donor tear down

For the most part I’ve completed a migration to a new server.  Got lots of space now for lots of pics.  I also migrated the pics to a new Gallery viewer.  Pretty nice little program.  Makes it really easy to manage all the pics.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been tearing down the donor.  It’s taken significantly longer than I expected.  Two weekends ago Greg Keller of kellerscobra.com came by and helped with all of the heavy lifting stuff.  We pulled the engine, tranny and rear-end that day.  Last weekend I set about taking care of the last couple of pieces and parts that are still on it.  The front suspension seemed to come out pretty easy with one gigantic exception.  NOTE! The first lower arm bolt I tried to pull, I made the mistake of turning the bolt instead of the nut.  Now the bolt is fused, bound up, whatever you want to call it, with the bushing.  It turns but won’t budge side to side.  ARGH!  All the others came out easily too!  Now I’ve got to find some way of getting it out without damaging the mounting brackets.  Also of note, the FFR instructions for donor teardown is greatly lacking.  Basically you end up unscrewing everything on the car.  There are steps where they say something like “remove the dash”.  Problem is, removing the dash requires removal of about 10 different other things and can take quite a while.  For a neophyte like myself, this is rather misleading.  While I am complaining about the lack of detail, it’s still better than others, from what I’ve heard. 

Now that I have the gallery set up I’ll be posting pictures of the donor parts.  What a nasty grimy mess.  I’m actually looking forward to making everything shiny again.  Woohoo!