Reading the signals

Spent a good part of the weekend hooking up the turn signals and the hazards.  I was a bit worried about making sure I was thinking straight so I did this diagram in visio real quick.  I missed a couple of things so I’ll be posting a “finish” diagram later.  Notably, using a DPST for the hazards works better than the SPST in the diagram.  Using an SPST will result in either a loop and everything flashing no matter which signal you use, or the necessity for diodes to stop the current flow back through the loop.  The DPST switch seemed much cleaner to me.

I also replaced the badly frayed coil plug’s wire.  Here’s what it looked like before:

Here’s what it looks like now:

Click on the pics to zoom in to the gallery.  I’m pretty sure I actually saw sparks a couple of times with the old pigtail!

Of course, here’s my Box O Wire that I never posted from the wire diet entry:

I haven’t weighed it but it looks significant!

I have a few more pics in the electrical section of the gallery.  I only have one outstanding problem with the signals and it goes something like this.  When I turn on the turn signal and then apply the brakes the turn signal freezes in mid cycle.  The rear turn signal is out while the front one is on.  I posted on FFCobra about it and got a very interesting response.  Seems the “turn signal” flasher doesn’t get enough load to kick over when the brakes are applied.  However, the “hazard” flasher doesn’t have that problem.  I’m going to try it out as soon as I finish here.  I actually like the hazard flasher idea better since it seemed to be a faster flash.  If that does work I think I might be able to pull the power lead for the turn signals from the hazard flasher instead of the turn signal flasher.  That’d be a few more wires to add to that box!

Leave a Reply